About Me

My photo
"i will praise You, o LORD, with my whole heart; i will tell of all Your marvelous works. i will be glad and rejoice in You; i will sing praise to Your name, o Most High." - psalm 9: 1-2

Sunday, April 14, 2013

First Face Painting Event!!! --Cole's Fundraiser!--


I mentioned in a previous post that I would share the details of my very first Face Painting event!!  Well, here it is!  

 **** Cole's Fundraiser ****



At the end of December, my dear cousin, Leatha, gave birth to their beautiful son, Cole Joseph.   Cole decided to show up a little early… about 3 months early, that is.  And because he was born so early, he suffered some complications, such as a grade 4 brain bleed, which resulted in Cerebral Palsy.  He stayed in the hospital until February.  He was finally able to join his family later that month, much to the joy of Leatha and her husband, Jon, who have 4 other children at home.  It was a real struggle for this family trying to balance work schedules while caring for their 4 older children (by the way, each of those 4 children has a special need of their own; 2 with autism and 2 with cystic fibrosis), and trying to be with Cole while in the hospital.  

I admire my cousin’s strength so much.  I really don’t know how she does it.  Praise God that He knew the needs each child would have, and that He knew Leatha and Jon were the right parents for the job!!  I can’t imagine having to watch my children do test after test and suffer sickness after sickness.  I thank God that He gives them strength for each new day and each new challenge that is laid before this family.  I pray that they are looking to Him for wisdom and guidance.  

Well, as you can imagine, along with baby Cole’s special needs, he requires some special equipment.  A friend of my cousin’s, whom I am very thankful for!!, put together a vendor fair fundraiser in honor of Cole to raise money needed to purchase some of this very costly equipment.  

The fair was made up of all different kinds of individuals that sell a product, whether it be those at-home parties you see advertised (like Tupperware, Scentsy, etc.) or someone who makes crafts or products and sells them.  Leatha had asked me early on if I would be interested in selling some of the things I make.  I wasn’t prepared in that aspect, but as I am just starting this face painting business , I thought that would be perfect!  I knew there would be lots of children at the event.  

A frog, my first face painting attempt.
So, I ordered my paint kit.  I decided to start with a small palette which was considerably cheaper than buying each individual color cake.  Anyway.. enough “face painting jargon”…  I got the paint in the mail and started practicing on Roen.  My first attempt was pretty humbling.  I thought it would just magically look awesome like the examples you see online!  It was ok.. but I was thinking… would I as a parent pay to have this done?  Probably not.  Unless it was like a dollar.  But I kept watching videos on YouTube to learn different techniques and looking at examples online and practicing on my son.  My faces started to get better and better.  I got more brushes and sponges and some other different tools and was learning what worked best for me and what didn’t.  As we started to get closer and closer to the fundraiser, I started to get really nervous.  Up to that point my face painting attempts weren’t where I wanted them to be.  I was really lacking confidence.  

One day I asked my mother-in-law if her two youngest daughters could come over so I could practice on them.  That day turned the tide for me!!  Even Derek’s brother Noah got his face painted and it turned out awesome!  This day really gave me a boost!  After that I was excited for the event and not so much nervous!  





The day of the fundraiser arrived.  We arrived at the venue and I got all set up.  It started at noon and I was busy, busy, busy until it ended at 4pm.  Actually, the children wouldn’t stop coming!  I continued to paint faces while all the vendors around me were packing up their booths and leaving!!  I just couldn’t tell the children no.  They had waited on me a long time!  My dad had a great idea and started handing out my business cards with a number written on the back.  When it was the next child’s turn, I called out their number.  This way the kids could run around and look at things and not get antsy while waiting in line.  It worked out great!  I think there was only one moment in that 4 hour period where I got to stand up and take a breather before the kids started coming again.  It was way fun though!  And I got the experience to paint children’s faces with different needs, like children with Autism and one with Down’s Syndrome.  It was a great learning experience for me.  One little boy with Autism was so sweet.  I kept telling him what I was going to do before I touched his face, etc. because he would jump every time I touched him or he would cringe.  He kept telling me, “You’re doing a good job.”  What a sweetie!!  

Normally I would have a set rate per face but for this event, I prayed about it and Derek and I decided I would only accept free will donations and all the proceeds would go to Cole.  The event organizer asked if each vendor would donate at least 15% of their profit and provide a prize for a raffle drawing.  I did get to use my paper cutting skills for the prize.  This was done in a larger frame.  I was pleased with how it turned out.  I’m not sure who won it, but I hope they liked it!  I attached one of my business cards to the back.  

Anyway…the results of the fundraiser!!  Because I was so busy, I didn’t get a chance to really even look around and see what others were selling.   I know there was a Vault Denim rep, someone who made handmade scarves, Scentsy, Usborne Books, Damsels in Defense (their stuff was awesome!!  Derek wanted to buy me a taser!! Haha!)  Someone making homemade dog treats…I’m not sure what else.  All together Leatha and Jon earned enough money to buy two very special chairs for Cole that will aid in transporting him much more safely!  Praise God!! :D  

I have to give out two very big thank yous.  First, to a very special someone who made a very, very generous donation for their child’s face painting.  You know who you are!  I’ll probably NEVER make that much on a single face painting again!!  God bless you! :-D
Secondly, to my husband, Derek.  He was so awesome!!  He watched all three children for me during the entire event.  He purchased all the materials I wanted/needed (mostly just wanted).  He helped me set up and tear down my booth…He believed in me and supported me without one complaint.  I love him so much.  He’s my best friend ever.  

*** Photos from the Event!! ***





I would like to ask everyone to please continue to pray for baby Cole and his family.  He has quite a road ahead of him, and it will not be easy.  He’s constantly being tested and scanned and therapy and this and that.  Currently, he is having seizures and a part of his brain is not functioning as fully as it should be.  The doctors do not know what he will or will not be able to do as he grows.  But God knows.  God knew before he was even born all of these things this sweet little boy would go through.  He (God) didn’t make Cole this way to be cruel.  He did it out of love.  My cousin is learning this and I praise God for that.  She is seeing now that God is teaching her patience and many other things.  She now has the ability to love her children and appreciate them in a way most of us will never know.  Every little milestone that Cole reaches is a time to rejoice, and she does!  It should be that way for every parent, for every child, but we (myself especially) tend to take the little every day things for granted.  

I pray that my cousin, her husband, and all of their children will continue to be open to God and the things He is teaching them.  I pray that they will look to Him for their strength and wisdom to parent Cole.  He is such a sweet gift.  Many people look on a child with disabilities and think, “oh, how tragic.  That poor child will never have a fulfilling life.”  Wanna bet?  Ask my cousin, or any parent of a child with disabilities, how fulfilled their life has become by having a special needs child in it, and you will be surprised at their response.  Cole has great worth in the eyes of his parents and in the eyes of God.  Lord, help each one of us to see that worth and to praise You for it!!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment