About Me

My photo
"i will praise You, o LORD, with my whole heart; i will tell of all Your marvelous works. i will be glad and rejoice in You; i will sing praise to Your name, o Most High." - psalm 9: 1-2

Thursday, January 24, 2013

An Unusual Thanksgiving

Have you ever been thankful for the flu?  Our whole family is sick with it right now, and I’m praising God!  I’m thanking Him because it could be so much worse.  We have been so blessed with good health.  The worst illness my children have ever had is the flu, and they’ve each only thrown up once in their entire lives, except Hannah.  She’s just an infant, so she only spits up. 
I’m totally attributing our well-being to the grace of God because we certainly don’t do anything special to stay healthy.  In fact.. sometimes we do some very UNhealthy things.  We don’t eat as well as we probably should, we don’t get any extra vaccines, and we share pretty much everything… drinks, food, the kids steal each other’s pacis, you name it. 
I’ve been thinking about this so much lately as I hear of people with little children who are really struggling health-wise.  I can’t begin to imagine what those moms and dads are going through.  It’s hard enough for me when my child has to get a shot… let alone test after test, treatment after treatment, like some parents have to watch their child endure.  My heart and prayers truly go out to them. 
I think that parents with a child or children who suffer from disease, disability, or any other health issue or special need are the strongest of people.  Our kids are our weaknesses!  We would do anything to spare them the smallest amount of pain, yet these parents have to watch their children endure excruciating pain every day.  Could I do that?!  I believe God would give me strength if I were in that situation, just like He gives strength to the parents who are already there.
This is a reminder to pray often for the parents that you know whose children suffer every day.  Pray, of course, for healing, but also pray for strength, comfort, and wisdom for the parents.  Think of as many ways as possible that you could be a blessing to that family.  They need help.  Finances may be tight.  The marriage relationship may be tense.  The other children in the family may feel ignored or even scared.  Look for ways to be a blessing. 
Please feel free to leave a comment with a prayer request or a praise regarding this topic, or an idea of a way to bless a family with a needy child/children.  I especially want to hear from you parents who have been there!  What was a great encouragement to you?  What was not so helpful?  We all need to learn so we can be there for others!  Or just post something unusual that you are thankful for (like the flu)!!
“Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God which passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment