About Me

My photo
"i will praise You, o LORD, with my whole heart; i will tell of all Your marvelous works. i will be glad and rejoice in You; i will sing praise to Your name, o Most High." - psalm 9: 1-2

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saving for some Dogs!!

If you look to the right of my blog, you'll see something new, a fundraising thermometer!!  For a long, long time, we as a family have been discussing raising and breeding dogs -- English Mastiffs!  We chose this breed because:

1.) their size -- I love a critter that stands out and is not run-of-the-mill.  These are the BIGGEST dogs, not necessarily height wise, but in body-size.  Besides, we live out in the country, and my husband is not always home.  I like the idea of  some protection, something that says, "Don't even think about it...";
2.)  their temperament -- Although they look mean, Mastiffs are supposed to be very sweet and lovable dogs.  That is key as these will be family dogs and we have small children.  Although, they can still be mean if they need to be, which is a plus;
3.)  Grooming is very minimal;
4.)  Life-span -- another plus, 10-14 years.  These dogs will be our pets.  We'd like to have them around for a while;
5.)  Health -- they do have some issues, like possibilty of bloat, hip displasia, and eye problems, but they don't have reproductive issues like, say the English Bulldog, which requires c-section births;
6.)  Resale value -- hey, we're looking at breeding.. this should be a consideration.  These dogs can bring in a nice paycheck! 

Those are just a few reasons why we've selected this type of dog.  Now I know the thermometer says, "We need your support," but, please, I'm not asking you to help fund my doggie endevors, it was a freebie.  You take what you get and you don't throw a fit, as I always say.

You may see there is a little money already collected for this new adventure.  I have been selling some things that we don't need on Facebook on the local Buy/Sell/Trade sites.  It's amazing!  You get awesome feedback and it's local!  They can come right to you to collect.  I'm very pleased with how that's working out so far.  I also have some repurposing projects lined up.  Pretty much any extra money that I make from now til -- whenever, I'm going to apply to this dog-buying dream of ours.  I'm excited to see how this all comes together.  Until it does, I'm going to be doing research - research - research!!!  I always like going into a new thing with lots of knowledge.  That's a good thing, right?  I will keep you posted as to our progress.  Keep checking back to watch the thermometer rise!  Oh, and if you would like to help support us, you can do so by purchasing some of my buy/sell/trade goods or my repurposed pieces.  OR if you have an old (preferably) wood piece, whether it be furniture, picture frame, decorative item, etc, that you would like to donate, or sell very cheap, so that I can repurpose it, please email me thesegerstroms@hotmail.com I would appreciate that so much!!!  I'll be sure to give my friends from the blog first dibs on some items by posting them here before anywhere else.  

For those of you that don't know what a Mastiff looks like, Enjoy! 

(photo courtesy of: www.dogbreedinfo.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment