About Me

My photo
"i will praise You, o LORD, with my whole heart; i will tell of all Your marvelous works. i will be glad and rejoice in You; i will sing praise to Your name, o Most High." - psalm 9: 1-2

Monday, February 18, 2013

Flannel Board Stories ****PRIZE*****


It’s that time again!!!  “Something I Made Monday!!!
This is a special Monday because it is a PRIZE day!!!  Keep reading ;]

This is something that I learned to do when I did in-home daycare years ago.  I was working to get DHS certified and in order to do that I had to take a 10-week (I think it was 10 weeks?) training and education course through Childcare Resource and Referral.  Anyway… it’s a special training for in-home care providers and we learned how to do some pretty neat stuff!!
I introduce to you… the Flannel Board Story!!!!

These are unbelievably simple to make, and fairly cheap, depending on which method (see below) you choose to create them.  Children just adore them; teachers love to work with them.  It’s a great visual aid.  If you are looking for a more exciting way to tell stories, these will capture your child’s attention and hold it. 
So far, for our family collection, I’ve made “The 7 Days of Creation”, “Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden”, “Noah’s Ark”, “Jesus’ Birth” (The Christmas Story), & “Jesus’ Death & Resurrection.” 







When I did in-home day care, I had the stories, “Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do You See?”, “Old MacDonald”, “5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed”, “There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly”,  & “Four Little Black Birds” (a story I made up myself).


What You’ll Need:
·        Milk Filters:  you’re probably thinking, “huh!?!”  This is the most important piece.  These can be picked up at farm supply stores, like Fleet Farm.  At the time I bought these (like…6-7 years ago?) I paid $9.99 for a box of 100 15” milk filter disks.  I’m not anywhere near close to using up the box yet.  It’s the most costly part of the project, but like I said, they’ve last me for years.  The product should look similar to this…
·       Crayons:  The cheap kind work the best.  I like “Cra-Z-Art” from Wal-Mart.
·       Black Sharpie Marker
·       Sheets of White Paper
·       Scissors
·       A Box with a Lid or a Metal Cookie Sheet:  I’ve used both, and personally, I like the box method better because it contains storage for your flannel stories.  Although, the cookie sheet idea is pretty cool, too.  This will be used as your “stage” to tell your story.  I wanted a larger box because I want to be able to fit all the characters I need to on the “stage.”  I got my box at Pizza Hut for 25 cents.  It’s the new “Big Box” version.  I also got a smaller “P’Zone” box from them for my “travel version.”  This way we can take the stories with us, but not have such a hefty box to haul around. 

·       A Piece of Flannel or Felt:  This needs to be large enough to cover the lid of your box or your cookie sheet.  Stick with a solid color.
·       Storage solution to keep stories separated:  You could use something as simple as plastic baggies in a variety of sizes, or a three-ring binder (you can get one for free from your bank!!) with clear plastic sheet protectors.  If using a box (built-in storage) for your stage, you could get by with the baggies.  If using the cookie sheet, you’ll probably want to use the binder.  Just be sure your characters are kept flat; never fold them.
·       Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks:  Necessary for attaching the flannel or felt to your stage.  I use a “cool melt” glue gun.  It doesn’t get as hot as a regular gun, so it won’t melt your fabric or make it too stiff.  This can be purchased at Hobby Lobby for under $5.
·       A Little Bit of Creativity & Some Artistic Talent:  You can create the characters for your stories anyway you choose.  You can draw them yourself or find pictures you’re looking for online or on a computer program.  I prefer to draw them myself because the other method never has exactly what I’m looking for.  Don’t worry if you aren’t the best artist in the world.  These are for your children, who think you’re the greatest even if you can only draw stick figures!! 
How To:  (Characters)
·       First of all, choose a story you’d like to tell your child.  I prefer to recreate Bible stories so we can use them during Children’s Church and Circle Time.  Read the story carefully and write down all the characters you’d like to make for that story.  (Example:  Adam & Eve:  don’t forget the fruit, the snake, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, etc.  Those are all considered “characters.”) 
·       Start with the Sheets of White Paper & a Black Sharpie Marker.  Draw your characters onto the white paper with the marker.  Remember to make the details, etc. fairly big because once you re-trace them, everything will get smaller.  Do the best you can to follow the descriptions of characters in the story you are choosing to tell.  If using the computer or online picture method, remember to re-size the pictures, if necessary, and print them off.
·       Re-trace the pictures onto a Milk Filter with the Marker by sliding your white sheet of paper under the filter.  Be sure to be a good steward of your filters and use your space wisely!  Fit as many characters onto one filter as you can, but be sure to leave enough room so you can cut them out later.
·       Color the traced characters with the Crayons.  Remember details.  If a character in a story is supposed to have blonde hair, don’t give them brown hair.
·       Cut your characters out with the Scissors.  Don’t cut directly on the lines.  I like to leave some white edging.  This makes each piece a little more sturdy.
·       Store your finished characters in the Plastic Baggies or Three-ring binder.  Be sure to label the baggies with a marker or the sheet protector pages with a hand-made tab or piece or tape so you know which story is which. 
How To:  (“Stage”)
·       Box Method:  Cut your felt or flannel large enough to cover the lid of your box.  Cover the top with glue from your Glue Gun and lay the felt or flannel on top.  This part you’ll have to do quickly because the glue drives very, very fast.  You may want to start by covering just a small portion with glue and laying down your fabric little by little.  This way you have better control over getting it laid just right.  Keep your stories tucked safely inside the box.
·       Cookie Sheet Method:  Turn the Cookie Sheet onto its backside.  Cut your felt or flannel large enough to cover the whole raised area.  Using your Glue Gun, glue just small portions at a time and lay your fabric down little by little.  Remember, the glue will dry quickly so you have to be fast, but accurate.  You won’t get any do-overs.  The fun part of the cookie sheet method is that one side can be used for flannel stories, while the other side can be used to stick magnets on.  Double cool!!  Keep your characters tucked safely in your three-ring-binder
See!!  I told you it was easy!!  These are also very fun to make.  Let yourself get as creative as you can!  I hope all of you will try this project and make a whole bunch of stories to share with your children.  These could be great entertainment for children while riding in the car, waiting at doctor’s appointments or at restaurants, or any other situation where little ones might start to get antsy.  These are also a big help for Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, AWANA or other kids’ programs, in the classroom or home school, or just for fun to share with your children or grandchildren.  But don’t forget to just sit down with a real book and read to your child and point out things in the pictures.  That’s a very important part of childhood, too.

Now…the moment you’ve all been waiting for!! 
The Opportunity to win a PRIZE!!!!
I will be giving away a handmade flannel story of your choice to TWO, yes, TWO happy people!!!  All you have to do is leave a comment in the comment section below sharing your favorite Bible Story or Children’s Story and I will re-create it for you in flannel story form!  I’ll also include a sheet of felt for your stage.  Be sure to leave a way for me to contact you if you’re the winner, such as an email address.  The winners will be randomly selected on FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22.  You have until then to enter the drawing!!  Share the link to this page on your facebook and with your friends! :]
Don’t be too disappointed if you don’t win.  I will happily recreate a story for you in this form for $5/per story (Add $2 for shipping per story, if necessary).  Just send an email to TheSegerstroms@hotmail.com with “flannel story” in the subject line.  Be sure to include the name of the Bible Story or the title and author of the children’s story you’d like me to recreate.  Include your mailing information if shipping is necessary.  Payment must be received in advance.  Thank you for your support!! :D
Happy Creating, and Happy Winning!! :]

8 comments:

  1. My favorite bible story is David and Goliath. Peteyleann@yahoo.com. You are so fun Becky:) I need to do fun things like this to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites that came to mind right away is Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Bible story is of course the story of Ruth. :) I so enjoy reading your blog, Becky! You have talents in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hungry Little Catepillar...of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my kids would pick the "Napping House" for children's stories. This is the 1st time I have read your blog....love it. You are very talented and gifted. hjobutler@gmail.com
      Heather Butler

      Delete
  5. Good night moon!

    Leatha slauson (ellekayecee@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete