About Me

My photo
"i will praise You, o LORD, with my whole heart; i will tell of all Your marvelous works. i will be glad and rejoice in You; i will sing praise to Your name, o Most High." - psalm 9: 1-2

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ooops...

Ok, so I forgot to post something for "Something I Made Monday."  Sorry.  The truth is, I WAS typing up my post Sunday night.  I had all the photos taken and uploaded, etc. etc.  But while I was typing I just wasn't.. what's the word?  "Feeling it."  So I said, forget it, I'll do it tomorrow.  Well, as you can see, Monday has come and gone, and still no post.  I apologize!  To make it up to you, next week I'll have a different "Something I Made" other than the one I was working on on Sunday, AND there will be a PRIZE given away!!!! OoOOoOOooooOooooOo!!!  Tell your friends.  I probably shouldn't even say that because I might forget again.. but accountability is a good thing.  It'll help me remember to do what I say I'm going to do.  I just hope people have pity on me and remember that I have 3 children, one being an infant.  And I have a husband.  And I have to have a life with some activity in it in order to post these blogs.  So please, forgive me and remember.  Thank you! :]

Anyway... On Monday we implemented a new Daily Routine that has been a real blessing to us thus far.  I was tired of my children's rambunctiousness, whining, boredom, etc. etc.  And I was tired of the "everyone do whatever you feel like doing whenever you feel like doing it!!!!!!!!!" rut that we were stuck in. 

Children thrive on structure.  I know this.  I knew this before I became a parent.  Why did I suddenly forget?  So I sat down and thought about our daily lives and our own personal family values and I came up with a schedule that works very well for us.  Here it is, in all its glory:

* Daily Routine *

6am - mommie wakes/get dressed/Bible study/start chores
7am - children wake/get dressed/go potty
730am - *breakfast*/wash up/brush teeth/feed Hannah
8am - *children's church* - Bible story, songs, Bible verse
830am - free play/chore time/go potty
10am - *read together*
1030am - free play/chore time/go potty
1130am - prep lunch
12pm - *lunch*/wash up/go potty
1230pm - *nap*/ mommie craft time
330pm - wake up/go potty/lite snack
4pm - *circle time*
430pm - prep supper/free play/set table
530pm - *supper*/wash up/clear table/go potty
6pm - *family play/table time*
7pm - bath time/brush teeth/go potty/free play
8pm - *devotions*/go potty
830pm - *bedtime*/ grown-up devotions
9pm - prep for next day/pack lunch/lay out clothes/internet time
10pm - get ready for bed
1030pm - *grown-up bedtime*

Thaar she blooooows!!!  That's it.  Pretty simple, yet it has made a profound impact on our family in just two days.  The children are way happier (mommie and daddy are, too) and there is less bickering/whining/picking on eachother.  Plus, it's fun that Derek knows what we're up to even when he's away at work.  The children know what to expect during the day.  And we've scheduled in specific times that we're spending time together.  That way, even if the day is busy, busy, busy, the children KNOW there will be a specific time when, yes, we WILL sit down and read that book together. 

You might notice a few things 1.) yes, there ARE wake-up times for the children where I, yes, wake them up.  I know, I know!! It's crazy!  I never thought in a million years I would actually wake my children, but I do and it makes the day go so much better.  Nap time was becoming a battle because either one would sleep however late they wanted to.  When nap rolled around no one was tired.  Same with bedtime.. they napped as long as they wanted, so no one was tired at bedtime.  This has helped a lot.  2.) Derek and I have a scheduled internet time.  This will make things interesting as far as my buy-sell-trade stuff, and this blog, but it's necessary.  No need to sit on the phone until all hours of the night when we could be spending time together or sleeping!!!!  3.)  We grown-ups even have a bedtime.  Now.. I'll admit I deviated from the schedule tonight since Derek is working late.  It's midnight and I'm posting a blog.  But hey, it needed to be done, and it's no fun to go to bed alone!!  But yes, mom and dad  need a bedtime too.  We have to be able to function without being grouches.  It's not the children's fault if I'm too tired the next day because I stayed up too late watching Michael Jackson music videos on youtube.  Ooops... 

I make sure to wear a watch so I always know what time it is, and I had Derek make like 6 copies of the routine so I could post them up all around the house.  This way I always know what we're supposed to be doing.  I, myself, have really enjoyed it.  We're getting some very important thing accomplished.  The last few days our kids have played better together than they have their entire lives.  It's been really neat to see.  I suggest, if you're not pleased with your day-to-day happenings or your childrens' attitudes, that you look at your family, your values, and yourself and see what would work best for you, and make your own routine and STICK WITH IT.  It can't hurt.. it can only make things better. 

Something fun to report!! Valentine's is a-drawing near!!!  Today we received a very special package in the mail from Grandma Loretta and Papa Rex!!  It was a box full of goodies for the children for Valentine's day!  YAAAAAY!  As an after thought, I wish I had waited til daddy was home with his phone so I could video the children opening it and post it here on the blog so Dad and Loretta could watch, but I wasn't thinking, I was just as excited as they were!! Bummer.  Dad and Loretta, just know that they loved it! :-D  There was one especially special gift in the box.  It was for Hannah, but really, it could have been for all of us.  It was a cute picture of an owl sitting in a tree with a picture of my brother, Taylor.  And it had a poem with it that read:
I see the moon and the moon sees me.
The moon sees the somebody I'd like to see.
God bless the moon and God bless me.
God bless the somebody I'd like to see.

Yes, I would really like to see my brother.  It's hard to look at his smiling face because all I think is, "Is he ReALLY gone??  Did he REALLY do this?"  It hurts because the answer is yes.  It's hard to see his smiling face, but man, how I love to see it.  It's the way I'll always remember him.  Wow... this sucks.

Anyway...  today Daddy got home from work early.  He took us to eat at the new Mexican restaurant in town.  I got a burger and fries.  Mmmmmm!  The children snarfed their food, which made their daddy very proud.  One thing I love about Mexican food places is that they treat you like royalty.  They're so polite and courteous.  One thing that bugs me big time about eating out at other restaurants is when you hear the serving come up to a table and say, "Hey, do you guys need anything else??"  I just want to yell, "THEY'RE NOT 'GUYS'!!!! THEY'RE 80 YEAR OLD WOMEN!!!!!"   That's just my little rant for the evening.  You won't see that at a Mexican restaurant.  The server kept calling Derek, "Amigo!"  "More diet coke? Ok, Amigo!"  Love.  After supper, we walked down the block to the ice cream shop.  It was a decent night out as far as temperature goes, so it was nice to walk.  Now Daddy is helping load pigs.  Busy night!!

I hope everyone has something fun planned for Valentine's Day!  Do something special for your spouse!!!  Don't sit around waiting to see what they'll do for you.  Surprise them.  Derek and I wanted to get away for the evening, but we decided it might be fun to include the children.  So we've got some fun ideas we're bouncing around.  Good night all.



2 comments:

  1. I love your schedule!! I have been meaning to get on one for awhile... but I am a procrastinator I guess! I wrote it all out on Sunday but I haven't started using it to the T yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to have a routine with James, but with a newborn who was I kidding,lol. Now that he is a little older its a bit easier to keep his nap times , play times etc on more of a schedule. I do have a cleaning schedule now and that has helped a lot, so I only focus on one chore a day, versus trying to do it all at once and being overwhelmed. Plus Jim knows when I'm going to do the laundry or give James a bath etc and he will go ahead and start it for me. Love it.

    ReplyDelete