About Me

My photo
"i will praise You, o LORD, with my whole heart; i will tell of all Your marvelous works. i will be glad and rejoice in You; i will sing praise to Your name, o Most High." - psalm 9: 1-2

Monday, February 4, 2013

Sunday Funday

It’s Sunday and we’ve had a full and enjoyable day.  I’m so glad God provided us with one guaranteed day of rest and a time to be together as a family.  And I’m very thankful that my husband wants to honor God’s wish in keeping this day as “work free” as possible.
Sunday school was pretty emotional for me.  We’re studying through the book of Job.  He endured much loss and mourning.  I can relate to him.  We discussed how, whether in trial or blessing, it’s all about how you respond.  Can you really say, “The LORD giveth and the LORD taketh away, Blessed be the name of the LORD…” (– Job 1:21) when something devastating happens in your life?  God has shown me that I can.  I can trust God and all His ways.  And I thank Him for teaching me that.
After church we debated what to do for lunch.  Eat at home?  Pizza Hut?  Pizza Ranch?  We chose Pizza Ranch.  We’re so glad we did!!  The place was packed, but we figured that was normal for Sunday.  It turns out this was their last day doing business!!  They were closing their doors! :[  We love the food at Pizza Ranch.. but this particular store we love because of the people and the atmosphere.  We eat here a lot.  We’ll be sad to see it gone.  They didn’t close for lack of business.  One owner purchased a different store in a different town which would be much more profitable to her.  The other owner is older and ready to retire and just doesn’t want to hassle with it anymore.  So, sadly, this small Iowa town will lose a great drawing card.  It brought lots of visitors to the area.  So long, Pizza Ranch!  It’s still for sale, however.  So maybe someday it will re-open.
On our way home my sister called and asked if our niece could come over to get help decorating her AWANA grand prix car.  AWANA is a children’s ministry outreach.  It’s an after school program that our church (and many others) participates in.  The children play games, learn Bible stories, and memorize scripture.  Derek and I used to volunteer before we had children.  I’m hoping next year Roen can join.  I think he would love it, and I want him to hide as much of God’s word in his heart as he possibly can.  (By the time he was two he already had a handful of Bible verses memorized!!) 
Anyway, the AWANA grand prix is just a night of fun where everyone makes a car, much like the “pine car derby” the boy scouts do.  You race your car down a sloped track and shoot for 1st place.  I’m more into the design aspect of it.  I’ve never been fast at anything in my life, so I don’t even expect to make a fast car.  So I helped our niece make a very cute car.  I have tons of craft materials at home, and we had everything we needed. 
She did all of the work, I just helped with one major detail.  She’s very excited as the race will fall on her 9th birthday!  Derek will put the wheels on for her later, as that is his speciality.  We’re hoping to make a car for Roen and Audrey to race, too.  I can’t tell you what they look like yet because a judge may be reading this and I don’t want to ruin their chances of winning a design prize! ;]
Hope you all enjoyed your Sunday.  Time to jump back into the work week!  This weekend went by way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment